Cucumber and Bengal Gram Chutney-Quick Chutney
Recipe type: Pickles
Cucumber and Bengal Gram Chutney is an awesome combination of yellow variety of cucumber and Bengal gram mixed together with few spices, nuts, and tamarind blended together to make a unique tangy and nutty fatta fat chutney. This chutney is often ground in stone pestle which brings out the natural flavors of every ingredients added in this chutney. The cucumber and Bengal gram chutney is generally served with hot plain rice, a simple tadka dal and papad on side. Little ghee with it would add more taste to the chutney.
- Cucumber (yellow variety) - 1 no
- Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - ¼ tsp
- Peanuts - 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
- Green chillies - 5 nos
- Tamarind - 10 gms
- Chana dal, soaked - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
- Red chillies - 3 nos
- Urad dal - ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Cut yellow cucumber into small pieces along with seeds.
- Heat oil in a pan, add coriander seeds and roast the seeds for a minute, then add fenugreek seeds, peanuts, sesame seeds and sauté for another minute.
- Add cut green chillies, tamarind, channa dal, salt, cucumber pieces and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add coriander leaves and cook for a minute. Switch off the flame and allow the mixture the cool.
- Transfer this mixture in a blender and grind to coarse paste.
- For tempering the chutney, heat little oil in pan, add mustard seeds and when they splutter, add cumin seeds, soaked channa dal, dry red chillies, urad dal, curry leaves and sauté well for a minute until the lentil get a light color. Switch off the flame.
- Pour this tempering over the chutney and mix well.
- Serve Cucumber and Bengal gram chutney with plain rice or curd rice.
- Most of the cucumbers varieties have around 95 % of water content which is a great way to increase the fiber and water intake. There is a high content of vitamins A, B6 and C present in the flesh of the cucumber. In addition to that these vegetables are known to have a high concentration of minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium and silica.