Healthy Coconut Chutney
Recipe type: Pickles
Coconut is high in saturated (bad) fats that cause obesity and heart diseases and aggravate diabetes. Reduce the quantity of coconut you normally use and add roasted coriander, urad dal and chana dal for healthier, tastier chutney.
- ¼ cup freshly grated coconut
- ½ cup chopped coriander (dhania)
- ½ tsp oil
- 2 tbsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 1 tbsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 2 small green chillies , chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
- salt to taste
- For The Tempering
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 whole dry kashmiri red chilli , broken into pieces
- 2 to 3 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- a pinch asafoetida (hing)
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the chana and urad dal and lightly roast them till they turn crisp and brown in colour. Keep aside to cool.
- When cool, blend the dals in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Add the coconut, coriander, green chillies, ginger and salt to it and blend to a smooth paste 5 tbsp of water. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 10 seconds.
- Pour this tempering over the chutney and mix well.
- Refrigerate and use as required.