Potato Rosti with Mushroom Pepper Sauce
Recipe type: Curries
Bask in the bliss of crispy potatoes embellished with the goodness of veggies.
- For the rosti
- 4 large sized potatoes
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp finely chopped green chillies
- 2 tbsp butter to cook
- For the mushroom pepper sauce
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup thinly sliced onions
- 4 cloves of garlic (lehsun), thinly sliced
- 2 sticks of celery, cut into 25 mm. (1") pieces
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (khumbh)
- 1 tbsp plain flour (maida)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch) powder
- 3 tbsp fresh cream
- 2 tbsp red wine (optional)
- For the buttered vegetables
- 2 tsp butter
- ¼ cup broccoli florets, blanched
- ½ cup red and yellow capsicum cubes
- ¼ cup carrot slices, parboiled
- salt and black pepper (kalimirch) powder to taste
- For the rosti:
- Cook the potatoes in a vesselful of water till they are half done.
- Peel and grate the potatoes thickly.
- Add the cornflour, salt and green chillies and mix lightly.
- Divide the potato mixture into 4 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Heat a 125 mm. (5") diameter non-stick pan, add ½ tbsp of butter and spread a portion of the potatoes evenly on the pan, to make a thick layer.
- Cook one side of the rosti till it is crisp and golden in colour.
- Using a large flat spoon, carefully turn it over to cook the other side.
- Repeat to make 3 more rostis.
- For the mushroom pepper sauce:
- Heat the oil in a pan on a high flame, add the onions, garlic and celery and sauté till they are golden brown in colour.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for a few more minutes on a high flame till all the water dries up.
- Lower the flame, add the maida and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, till the flour is lightly browned.
- Add the salt and 3 cups of water and simmer till the sauce thickens (approx. 10 to 15 minutes).
- Add the pepper and cream and bring the sauce to boil.
- Add the red wine and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep aside.
- For the buttered vegetables:
- Heat the butter in a pan, add the vegetables, salt and pepper and toss for a minute. Keep aside.
- How to proceed:
- Transfer the rosti on to a serving plate and keep warm.
- Spoon out ¼ of the hot mushroom pepper sauce on to the rosti and serve immediately along with ¼ of the buttered vegetables.
- Repeat with the remaining rostis, mushroom pepper sauce and vegetables to make 3 more portions.
- Serve immediately.