Spiced pumpkin & chickpea parcels
Recipe type: Curries
- 2 tsp peanut oil
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 500g butternut pumpkin, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 brown onion, halved, coarsely chopped
- 12 fresh curry leaves
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 200g (1 cup) basmati rice
- 375ml (1½ cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, finely chopped
- 200g (3/4 cup) skim milk natural yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, cumin, coriander, garam masala and turmeric, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until seeds pop and mixture is fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Place the pumpkin, chickpeas, onion and curry leaves in a large bowl. Add the spice mixture and season with salt and pepper. Gently toss to coat pumpkin in spice mixture. Combine rice and 125ml (1/2 cup) of stock in a medium bowl.
- Cut four 40cm-square pieces of foil and four 40cm-square pieces of nonstick baking paper. Place foil on a clean work surface. Top with the baking paper. Spoon rice mixture evenly among squares. Top with pumpkin mixture and drizzle with the remaining stock.
- Fold the foil and paper in half to enclose the fillings. Fold the edges over to seal the parcels. Place parcels on 2 baking trays.
- Bake in preheated oven, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 30 minutes or until pumpkin and rice are tender. Remove from oven. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine cucumber and yoghurt in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Carefully transfer contents of parcels to serving bowls. Top with yoghurt mixture and serve immediately.
Fresh curry leaves are available from some Woolworths and Asian grocery stores.