Suran ( Elephant Foot, Kanda) Sweet Curry - Kanda Teepi Kura
Recipe type: Curries
Elephant foot yam is a root vegetable which is used in making this sweet curry. The yam is peeled, chopped and boiled in salted water till its soft. It is then cooked in tempered oil along with chopped onion. Finally jaggery is added to sweeten the curry.
- Suran / Yam 1½ Cups Chopped
- Onion 1 Small
- Green Chiles 1 – 2
- Jaggery 2 inch block
- Turmeric Powder a pinch
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Garlic 2 Cloves
- Chana Dal ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Broken Red Chiles 2
- Curry Leaves 3
- Oil 1 tsp
- Wash and roughly chop cilantro leaves.
- Peel and lightly crush the garlic cloves.
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chiles.
- If using fresh yam cubes, boil them in salted water till yam cubes are soft and cooked. If using frozen yam, microwave in quarter cup of water for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a sauce pot, add garlic cloves and all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add chopped onion and green chiles.
- When onion turns translucent, add cooked yam, jaggery, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook covered on low flame till jaggery is dissolved and yam is almost mushy.
- Stir in cilantro and remove from heat.
- Serve suran sweet curry with plain steamed rice and dollop of ghee.
Make sure suran is completely cooked before removing from heat. Suggestions: If yam is not cooked properly, add a splash of water and cook covered on low flame till done. Variations: You can also mash the yam before adding to the pan for a different texture.