Veg hakka noodles recipe
Recipe type: Appetiser
vegetable hakka noodles - an indo chinese preparation with hakka noodles and mix vegetables.
- 200 gms hakka noodles - 1 pack of hakka noodles
- 3 to 4 medium spring onions, finely chopped, reserve a few greens for garnish
- 1 small to medium carrot, finely chopped or julienned
- 8 to 10 french beans, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 button mushrooms, finely chopped * check notes
- 1 small to medium bell pepper - red, green or yellow, finely chopped or julienned
- 1.5 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 to 3 red chilies or green chilies, broken and deseeded
- 1 tsp finely chopped celery
- ¼ tsp rice vinegar or white vinegar or rice wine
- ½ tbsp naturally fermented soy sauce or add as required
- ½ tbsp oil for coating the noodles
- 2 tbsp oil for stir frying
- salt and pepper as required
- enough water to cook the noodles
- heat enough water in a pan with salt and a few drops of oil, till it comes to a boil.
- add the hakka noodles and cook according to the package instructions.
- when the noodles are cooking, rinse and chop all the veggies or you can chop the veggies before you start cooking the noodles.
- drain and rinse the noodles in running water, so that the noodles stop cooking.
- then add oil and gently mix, so that the oil gets evenly coated on the noodles.
- keep the noodles aside.
- heat oil in a wok or kadai or a pan.
- on medium heat, first add the dry red chilies and garlic.
- saute for a minute, then add the finely chopped spring onions and french beans
- increase the flame and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- add the mushrooms,carrots, bell pepper/capsicum & celery. stir fry all the veggies on a high flame till the veggies start getting slightly browned from the edges. this will take about 5 to 6 mins after adding the carrots.
- add soy sauce and stir.
- add the hakka noodles and toss it well and stir fry for a minute on high heat.
- season with salt and pepper. also add rice vinegar or white vinegar. continue to toss and cook the noodles on a high flame for a minute.
- toss the whole mixture well and the add the chopped spring onion greens or garnish the hakka noodles with spring onions while serving.
- serve hakka noodles plain or accompanied with veg manchurian curry or vegetables in hot and sour sauce.
the mushrooms have to be chopped fine, so that they cook quickly on a high heat while stir frying. since mushrooms are used in this recipe, there is quite some moisture while stir frying the veggies which won't be there if mushrooms are not added. you may have to reduce the time of stir frying if not using mushrooms.