Recipe type: Curries
You will be amazed by how effectively grated cauliflower masks the bitterness of karela, making it a delicacy that even kids would not mind eating. Perked up with onion, coriander and spice powders, Masala Karela is a treat to the taste buds, and a wonder food for your body too, as karela contains at least three active substances with anti-diabetic properties, including charantin, vicine and as polypeptide-p which have been confirmed to have a blood glucose-lowering effect.
- 1 cup deseeded and thinly sliced bitter gourd (karela)
- 2 tsp oil
- To Be Mixed Together Into A Mixture
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- ¼ cup grated cauliflower
- ¼ cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 tbsp besan (bengal gram flour)
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the bitter gourd slices and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till they turn brown in colour, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.