Recipe type: Breakfast
Poha / Flattened rice is ground into coarse powder. Sprinkle water to make the poha soft. Cook chopped onion and potato with spices. Add the poha to cooked onion and potato. Serve ground poha upma as a breakfast or tiffin.
- Thick Poha 1 Cup
- Potato 1 Small
- Onion 1 Small
- Green Chiles 1 – 2
- Roasted Peanuts 2 Tbsps
- Turmeric Powder ⅛ tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Broken Dried Red Chiles 3 – 4
- Asafoetida a Big Pinch
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
- Grind atukulu into coarse powder using a grinder.
- Spread the ground poha on a plate and sprinkle around quarter cup of water or more to wet the poha powder.
- Keep adding the water gradually to make sure poha becomes soft and fluffy.
- Peel and finely chop potato.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chiles.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all tempering ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add onion, potato and salt.
- When onion turns brown around the edges and potato is soft, add green chiles.
- Fry briefly and add wet ground poha powder and turmeric powder.
- Stir well, add peanuts and season if necessary and remove from heat.
- Serve ground poha upma as a breakfast or as a snack.
Make sure the poha powder is soaked well. Suggestions: If poha powder becomes too wet, let it dry for couple of minutes before adding to pan. If poha powder is dry, sprinkle more water to wet it. Variations: You can also squeeze a lemon during the end of the cooking process. Also add few pinches of sugar for a variation.