Baati (Daal Baati) and Choorma – Rajasthani Cuisine
Recipe type: Breakfast
Dal Bati Churma is a very popular Rajasthani dish. The mere mention of the crumbled Baatis with the Panchmela Daal is enough to get the taste glands working overtime. The simple version is with just the Baatis and Daal on top with drizzle Ghee is the more rustic and traditional way to serving this awesome dish. We have dressed it up a bit with a lot of garnishing to give it more texture and flavors. Serve with Panchmela Daal and a side of the Churma and be transported to Rajasthan.
- Chapati Flour/Atta – 2 cups
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Baking Soda – ½ tsp
- Carom Seeds (Ajwain) – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Green Chillies – to taste, chopped
- Ginger & Garlic – 1 tbsp, minced
- Yogurt – ½ cup
- Water – 3 tbsp (approx)
- Oil – few drops, for drizzling
- Ghee for garnish
- Finely chopped Onions for garnish
- Finely chopped Cilantro for garnish
- Finely chopped Green Chillies for garnish
- Julianne Ginger for garnish
- Fresh Lime /Lemon Juice for garnish
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F/ approx 180 degrees C.
- 2. Sift the Flour, Baking Soda and Salt.
- 3. Add Carom Seeds and mix
- 4. Add Oil and incorporate into the Flour.
- 5. Add Green Chillies, Ginger & Garlic, Yogurt and Warm Water to form a stiff dough.
- 6. Knead for 2-3 minutes.
- 7. Drizzle a few drops of Oil, rub and cover the dough.
- 8. Allow the Dough to rest for 15 minutes.
- 9. Make golf-size round balls and transfer into a baking tray or a pizza stone.
- 10. Bake for 15 min., turn and bake for another 10 min.
- 11. Once done keep them warm until ready to use.
- For Assembly:
- 1. Crumble the hot Baati in a bowl.
- 2. Drizzle some Ghee and lots of Panchmela Dal on it
- 3. Garnish with Onions, Cilantro, Green Chillies, Ginger and Lime Juice.
- 4. Enjoy with some Choorma on the side.
- For Choorma:
- Chapati Flour / Atta – ½ cup
- Baking Soda – ⅛ tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Warm Water – 2 tbsp + 2 tsp
- Oil – few drops
- Ghee – 2 tbsp, melted
- Powdered Sugar – to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F/ approx 180 degrees C.
- Sift the Flour and Baking Soda.
- Add Oil and incorporate into the Flour.
- Add Warm Water to form a stiff dough.
- Knead for 2-3 minutes.
- Drizzle a few drops of Oil, rub and cover the dough.
- Allow the Dough to rest for 15 minutes.
- Make golf-size round balls and transfer into a baking tray or a pizza stone.
- Bake for 15 min., turn and bake for another 10 min.
- Once done, dip into melted Ghee, roll, pull out and keep aside.
- Allow them to cool a bit, crumble by hand or in a Food Processor.
- Add additional melted Ghee and mix.
- Add Powdered Sugar and mix in.
- Serve with Daal-Baati on the side as an accompaniment.