Baked beans with ham
Recipe type: Breakfast
Sweet with syrup and tomato sauce, the beans also have a hot mustard kick.
- 150g (1/2 cup) tomato sauce
- 60ml (1/4 cup) golden syrup
- 1 tbs mustard powder
- 2 x 400g cans borlotti beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 (about 1kg) smoked ham hock
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- Combine the tomato sauce, golden syrup and mustard powder in a jug.
- Place tomato mixture, beans, ham and water in a large saucepan and stir to combine. Place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour 25 minutes or until thick.
- Use tongs to remove the ham hock from the pan. Set aside to cool slightly. Use your fingers to remove the ham from the bone. Discard skin and bone. Coarsely shred ham. Add the ham to the bean mixture and stir to combine.