Beetroot and Sesame Roti
Recipe type: Breakfast
A colourful roti tinged by the pink shades of beetroot and the savoury touch of til, with coriander powder and chilli powder for added flavour, the Beetroot and Sesame Roti is an ideal breakfast to pack in your kids’ lunch boxes as it is non-messy, tasty and healthy too!
- ¼ cup boiled , peeled and grated beetroot
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (til)
- ½ cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- salt to taste
- whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
- 2 tsp oil for cooking
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into soft dough, using very little water.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll out each portion into a circle of 100 mm (4") diameter, using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook each roti, using ¼ tsp of oil, till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Allow the rotis to cool completely.
Wrap in an aluminium foil and pack in a tiffin box.