Black Bean Burger
Recipe type: Appetiser
A flavorful burger that’s good for you, unheard of? This Black Bean Burger is so yummy that you may be be looking for excuses to make it again and again :) The subtle flavors and the additional good of the healthy ingredients just add to the charm. Black Beans have this great taste that is hearty and substantial. Make it a meal or a snack and you have a winner!
- For the Patty:
- Black Beans – 1, 15 oz can, drained and rinsed
- Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Onions – ½ cup, chopped
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms – ½ cup, chopped
- Bell Pepper/ Capsicum – ½ cup, chopped
- Taco Seasoning – 1 tbsp or to taste
- Shredded Carrots – ½ cup
- Whole Wheat or Whole Grain Bread – 1 slice
- Cooked Brown Rice – 1 cup
- Frozen Corn – ½ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Pickled Jalapenos – to taste (optional)
- Soy Granules – ½ cup
- Instant Oats – 1 cup
- Cilantro – 5 springs, finely chopped
- Eggs – 2, lightly beaten
- Panko Bread crumbs for coating
- For the Burger:
- Toasted Buns
- Sour Cream
- In a pan, heat up 1 tbsp of Olive Oil.
- Once hot, add in the Onions and Garlic and allow them to caramelize a little.
- Next add in the Mushrooms and let the moisture evaporate.
- Add in the Bell Pepper and cook for a little bit (1-2 min)
- Add in Taco Seasoning and allow it to coat the vegetables and turn off the stove.
- Once the stove has been turned off, add in the finely shredded Carrots and mix well.
- Set the pan aside and allow it to cool down.
- In a Food Processor, break up a slice of bread into big chunks.
- Pulse the Food processor about 3-4 times till the bread crumbles.
- In the Food Processor, add Cooked Brown Rice, Corn, Cooked Vegetables, Salt, Pickled Jalapenos,
- Pulse about 6-7 times.
- Add in ¾ of the can of Black Beans.
- Pulse for another 3-4 times till everything is mixed well.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Add in the Soy Granules, Instant Oats, Cilantro & the balance of the Balck Beans.
- Mix gently but well.
- Good time to do taste test before adding in Eggs.
- Add in the eggs and mix well gently.
- Put the mixture in the fridge and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, pour out some bread crumbs for coating the burgers.
- Get a skillet heating up on medium heat with a tsp of Oil.
- Divide up the mixture into equal portions (according to the number needed and the size required)
- Take a portion and start rolling and making a patty.
- Dip into the Panko Bread Crumbs and coat them well.
- Once the skillet is hot, place gently, press the patty down if it is too thick and move it around so it gets coated in the Oil.
- Allow it to cook on the bottom side.
- Drizzle a little Oil on the top and spread it and flip very gently.
- Allow it to cook on the flip side as well.
- Once done, place on a toasted Bun.
- Garnish with Sour Cream and Salsa and serve.