Recipe type: Breakfast
Steamed idli is sliced thick and deep fried in oil till golden brown in color. Fried idli is then seasoned with chaat masala and served with mint cilantro chutney.
- Steamed Idli 4
- Chaat Masala Powder ½ tsp
- Mint Chutney 2 Tbsps
- Salt to taste
- Oil for Deep Frying
- Slice the idli into three pieces and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep vessel on medium heat.
- When oil is hot, slowly drop the idli pieces into the oil.
- Fry till the idli turns golden brown in color.
- Remove the idli onto absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
- Immediately sprinkle chaat masala powder and a pinch of salt.
- Serve fried idli with mint chutney.
Make sure idli fried well on all sides. Suggestions: You can also steam the idli batter in a small wide vessel instead of using idli moulds and cut the idli into various shapes once steamed. Variations: Also serve with tamarind chutney or red chutney.