Idli Moong Dal Upma
Recipe type: Breakfast
For idli upma, oil is heated up and some whole spices are added to the oil. Idli is prepared by steaming the idli batter. The steamed idli is crumbled and added to the oil along with boiled moong dal. Serve idli moong dal upma with any chutney of your choice.
- Steamed Idli 4
- Moong Dal ¼ Cup
- Green Chiles 2
- Turmeric Powder a big Pinch
- Lemon Juice 1 tsp
- Salt to Taste
- For Talimpu:
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Broken Dried Red Chiles 3 – 4
- Asafoetida a Big Pinch
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
- Wash moong dal with water and boil in a cup of water till it turns translucent, soft but whole.
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chiles.
- Break the idli into pieces and crumble the idli.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all other talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add green chiles.
- Fry briefly, add boiled moong dal, mashed idli, turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix thoroughly and cook for a minute and remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon juice and serve idli moong dal upma with any chutney of your choice.
Make sure not to overcook moong dal. Suggestions: If moong dal is not cooked properly, add more water if required and cook till they turn soft before adding to the pan.