Recipe type: Breakfast
The first thing we all can think about karelas is their bitterness. Believe it or not, karela is a vegetable that is extremely beneficial for diabetics and you can enjoy it more if you acquire the taste for it. This innovative recipe makes use of the peels of the karela which we usually throw away. Wash and chop the peel into small pieces before adding it into the dough. Use the karelas to make the Karela Kadhi.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- ¼ cup bajra (black millet) flour
- ½ cup finely chopped bitter gourd (karela)
- ½ tsp grated garlic (lehsun)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- salt to taste
- Other ingredients
- 2 tsp oil to brush the theplas
- Combine all the ingredients and knead into a firm dough using enough water and knead well.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal parts and roll each portion into a circle of approx. 125 mm. (5") diameter.
- Cook each thepla on a non-stick pan till both sides are golden brown.
- Brush each thepla with a little oil and serve hot.