methi thepla recipe
Recipe type: Breakfast
methi thepla is a flat bread and is a popular gujarati snack.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour/atta
- 1 cup gram flour/besan
- 1 cup chopped fresh fenugreek (methi) leaves
- 1 tsp cumin powder or whole cumin
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp green chilli-ginger paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 to 2 tbsp water or 1 to 2 tbsp curd/yogurt
- salt as required
- oil for frying
- mix all the ingredients except water.
- start kneading without adding water first.
- the methi (fenugreek) leaves leave a lot of water.
- just add 1 tbsp or 2 tbsp water if required.
- if the dough become sticky, then just add some more wheat flour.
- keep the dough aside for 15-20 minutes covered with a kitchen towel.
- now make medium sized balls from the dough.
- roll each ball thinly into flat discs.
- heat a frying pan or tava.
- place the thepla on the pan.
- when one side is half cooked, flip it.
- apply ½ or 1 tsp oil on the cooked side.
- now again flip and apply ½ or 1 tsp oil on the other side.
- flip again twice.
- once the thepla is cooked as well as browned, remove from the pan.
- make all the theplas this way.
- stack them up and keep in a roti basket or in covered in a kitchen napkin.
- serve methi theplas with mango or lime pickles, or potato sabzi.
- you can also have methi theplas plain with indian chai or tea.
instead of water you can also add curd. for frying instead of oil you can use ghee if you want.