Onion tomato uthappam recipe
Recipe type: Breakfast
onion tomato uthappam - south indian tiffin snack of uthappams topped with onions and tomatoes.
- 2 to 3 cups dosa batter
- ½ to ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ to ¾ cup finely chopped tomato
- 1 or 2 green chili/hari mirch finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta (optional)
- ghee or butter or oil, as required
- pav bhaji masala or sambar masala or idli podi, as required (optional)
- first make dosa batter. you can read this link for making the dosa batter.
- you can also use leftover dosa batter.
- mix the chopped onions, tomatoes, green chili, coriander together in a bowl.
- heat a griddle or non stick tava. take 1 ladle of uthappam batter and spread it in a circle on the tava similar to the way you would make a dosa. only the quantity of batter will be more than what you would normally use for a dosa. the uthappam should be thick.
- top the uthappam with the onion, tomatoes and chili mixture.
- sprinkle a bit of pav bhaji masala or sambar masala or idli podi and salt on top of the veggies and utthappam.
- add some ghee or butter on the sides and top of the uthappam.
- turn the uthapaam when the base is cooked. apply some ghee/butter on the cooked side.
- the onion tomato side is getting cooked now. flip when this side also gets cooked.
- flip again if you see the first side is not cooked or browned.
- when the uthappams are crisp and cooked on both sides, then serve the uthappams hot with hot sambar and coconut chutney. you could also serve uthappams with curd chutney or simple sweetened or plain curd.
- serve onion tomato uthappam hot to have best taste.