Quick Rava Idlis
Recipe type: Breakfast
Well, you love idlis, but what if you have no batter on hand? here is a quick and equally tasty (in fact, spicier!) version of idlis made with semolina. Since the batter requires no fermentation, this recipe is a quick-fix!
- For The Batter
- 1 cup semolina (rava)
- ¼ cup curds (dahi)
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- salt to taste
- ¾ tsp fruit salt
- Other Ingredients
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp ghee
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 tbsp broken cashewnuts (kaju)
- 4 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- a pinch asafoetida (hing)
- oil for greasing
- For Serving
- coconut chutney
- For the batter
- Combine all ingredients together, except the fruit salt, with 1 cup of water in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- How to proceed
- Heat the oil and ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, urad dal,cashewnuts, curry leaves, cumin seeds, green chilies and asafoetida, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add this tempering to the prepared semolina batter and mix well.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and 2 of tsp water over the batter.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour a little batter into each greased idli mould and steam for 7 to 8 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
- Cool slightly, demould and serve immediately with sambhar and coconut chutney.