Recipe type: Breakfast
- ULLundhu (Urad Daal) 1 Cup
- Green Chillies(chopped) 4-6 Numbers
- Ginger (grated/chopped) ½ oz
- Water 1 Cup
- Salt 1 Teaspoons
- Oil 1½ Cup
- Onion (chopped) 1 Numbers
- Cabbage(small) (chopped) ½ Numbers
- Soak uLLundhu for about 3 to 5 hours.
- Drain the water completely and grind till the
- uLLundhu is just about broken in small pieces
- (maAvu should NOT be too fine) the uLLundhu in the
- blender or food processor with very little water
- as possible, to do this grind ½ cup of uLLundhu
- at time ]or else the blender will be on fire ;-)].
- Mix chillies, ginger, salt and the
- vegetables(optional) to the uLLundhu. You can
- just onion or both onion and cabbage.
- Add the oil to heated wok (vaANali) and heat the
- oil on medium-high heat for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Wet the palm of one of your hands. Put the maAvu
- on the wet palm and shape it like doughnut and
- drop it slowly into the oil and fry till golden
- brown. If the shape dosen't matter to you, then
- take the maAvu and drop into the oil using a
- table-spoon (slightly oil the spoon before taking
- the maAvu so it won't stick to th spoon). You can
- add 2 or 3 at a time depending on how much oil you
- have in the vaANali.
- Variations: To the same maAvu, add about 1 tsp.
- whole black pepper (crushed), ½ cup of chopped
- fresh coconut, ½" ginger grated and salt (omit
- chillies,onion and cabbage). Drop the maAvu into
- the oil in round shapes, to make Madras Bonda and
- fry till golden brown.