Recipe type: Drinks
There are different ways to make chai (or tea) ranging from plain (milk, water, sugar and tea leaves) to masala (the plain with a kick!) and anywhere in between. You can buy tea masala in packets from any Indian store.
- 1. To equal parts milk and water ( for 1 cup of tea, use ½ cup milk and ½ cup water) add sugar and masala (according to taste, but usually just about ¼ tsp per cup).
- 2. When the mixture comes to a boil, add tea leaves (1 tsp per cup) and switch off the stove.
- 3. Cover and let the tea steep for 3-4 minutes.
- 4. Filter with a small sieve and serve.
- For Ginger/Cardamom Tea:
- Follow the same steps as above, except replace Masala with ¼ tsp finely minced ginger (or ⅛ tsp ginger powder) and ⅛ tsp of Cardamom powder per cup.
You can use teas bags, but we feel that they don’t have the same quality as loose tea leaves.