Apple and blackberry bars with hazelnut crumble
Recipe type: Snacks
Katie Quinn Davies has filled these crumble bars with a luscious homemade jam.
- 150g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour, sifted
- ¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, chopped
- 250g fresh or frozen, thawed blackberries
- Juice of 1 lime
- Hazelnut crumble
- ½ cup (75g) plain flour
- 100g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- ⅓ firmly packed cup (80g) brown sugar, plus extra 2 tbs to sprinkle
- ½ cup (45g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (125g) roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- Whiz the butter, flour and ½ cup (110g) caster sugar in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and vanilla, then whiz to combine. Shape into a ball, then enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place apple, blackberries, lime juice, remaining ¼ cup (55g) caster sugar and ½ cup (125ml) water in a large pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the apples are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat, cool, then blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 24cm x 30cm cake pan with baking paper. For the crumble, whiz flour and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add remaining ingredients and pulse to combine.
- Remove the biscuit pastry from the fridge, then unwrap and flatten into a disc. Place between 2 pieces of baking paper and roll out into a 24cm x 30cm rectangle, then use to line the cake pan.
- Prick the base all over with a fork, then bake for 20 minutes or until starting to brown. Cool for 5 minutes, then spread jam over base. Scatter over crumble, then sprinkle with remaining 2 tbs brown sugar.
- Bake for a further 25-30 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool for 30 minutes or until firm, then cut into squares and serve.
These bars will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.