Apple, pecan & sultana scroll
Recipe type: Snacks
This delicious apple, pecan and sultana scroll is perfect with a cup of tea.
- 1 (7g) sachet dry yeast
- 1½ tablespoon caster sugar
- ¾ cup milk, warmed
- 70g butter
- 2 jazz apples, peeled, chopped
- ¾ cup Coles Brand Australian pecans
- ¼ cup Coles Brand sultanas
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2¼ cups plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon milk, for brushing
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- Place yeast, 2 teaspoons of caster sugar and milk in a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside in a warm place for 5-10 mins, until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Meanwhile, chop 30g of the butter and melt the remainder. Place the apples, pecans, sultanas, brown sugar and chopped butter in a food processor. Pulse until roughly chopped.
- Place flour, melted butter, egg yolk and remaining caster sugar in a large bowl. Add the yeast mixture and mix to form a dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth.
- Grease a 23cm round cake tin. Roll the dough out to a 35cm x 25cm rectangle. Spread over the apple mixture and, starting from long end, roll up the dough to enclose the filling. Cut this into 2cm pieces. Arrange pieces in the prepared tin, cut side up, so they fit snugly together. Cover with a cloth and set aside in a warm place for 1 hr, until they have doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan-forced. Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle over demerara sugar. Bake for 45 mins, until golden.