Big top cake
Recipe type: Kids
Bring the circus to your kid's party — it's full of exciting and delicious treats!
- 3 x 370g packets moist chocolate cake
- 6 eggs
- 60g butter
- 2 x 160g packets strawberry-flavoured sour straps
- 2 x 250g packets Jaffas
- Decorative flag (we used a white star and ribbon stuck on a yellow straw)
- Butter cream icing
- 500g butter, softened
- 6 cups icing sugar mixture
- Yellow food colouring
- Blue food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 7cm-deep, 22cm (base) round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper. Grease a 23cm (top) fluted ring pan.
- Prepare cakes following packet directions, using 3 cups cold water. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake ring pan for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Stand for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Bake round pan for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Stand for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool (see tip).
- Make butter cream icing: Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a bowl until pale. Add icing sugar mixture, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until thick and fluffy. Divide icing into 2 bowls. Tint 1 batch yellow and 1 batch blue.
- Using a serrated knife, level top of round cake and bottom of ring cake. Place round cake, cut-side down, on a plate. Spread cut side of ring cake with a little icing. Place, icing side-down, on top of round cake.
- Cover round cake with icing, alternating colours (you will need 4 yellow sections and 4 blue sections). Repeat with ring cake and remaining icing, alternating colours. Arrange sour straps over top of cake where icings join (you will need 2 per stripe). Cut a scalloped edge along 1 side of 6 sour straps. Place straps around side of cake where the 2 cakes join, using a little icing to stick where needed. Arrange Jaffas around base of cake.
- Fill centre of fluted ring cake with remaining Jaffas. Insert flag into centre of Jaffas. Serve.
Opening the oven while baking can cause cakes to sink, so bake round cake and fluted ring cake separately.