chana dal pakora recipe
Recipe type: kids
chana dal pakora – crisp and soft pakoras or fritters made with ground bengal gram.
- for grinding the batter:
- ½ cup chana dal/bengal gram
- 1 tsp fennel seeds/saunf
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 2-3 small garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 green chili, roughly chopped
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp chopped onion
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- a pinch of baking soda (optional)
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp water for grinding
- other ingredients:
- 2 tbsp chopped onion to be added later to the ground batter
- ½ to ¾ tbsp chopped coriander leaves can also be added later in the batter
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying or shallow frying
- pick and then rinse the dal for a couple of times in water.
- soak the chana dal in enough water for 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
- drain the soaked dal and add them to the grinder.
- add 1.5 to 2 tbsp chopped onion along with the chopped green chilies, ginger and garlic, asafoetida, fennel seeds, cumin seeds in the grinder.
- add 1.5 to 2 tbsp water and grind to a smooth batter.
- take the ground batter in a bowl. add 2 tbsp chopped onion and salt.
- also add a pinch of baking soda if using. mix the batter very well.
- heat oil for deep frying in a pan or kadai. drop spoonfuls of the batter in medium hot oil.
- fry the chana dal pakoras till crisp and golden. drain the pakoras on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- serve chana dal pakoras hot or warm with green chutney or coconut chutney or tomato ketchup.