Chicken, corn and risoni soup
Recipe type: soups
Traditional corn and chicken soup is given a hearty tweak with the addition of pasta and silverbeet.
- 30g butter
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 1½ litres chicken stock
- 1 cup dried risoni pasta (see note)
- 1 cup shredded silverbeet leaves (see tip)
- ½ cup pure cream
- baby basil leaves, to serve
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until onion is soft. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add corn and stock to pan. Bring to boil. Add pasta. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add silverbeet and cream to pan. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Remove from heat. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with basil leaves. Season with pepper.
You could use spinach leaves instead of silverbeet leaves. Perfect for soups, casseroles and salads, risoni is a rice-shaped pasta, available in the dried pasta aisle of the supermarket.