Chilled tomato and harissa soup
Recipe type: soups
Harissa gives a spicy punch to this cool tomato soup.
- 1kg vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100g (about 5 slices) white bread, crusts removed
- 2 tsp harissa paste*
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 200ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs sherry vinegar
- Pinch of caster sugar
- Natural yoghurt, paprika and coriander leaves, to serve
- Place tomatoes in a blender with garlic, bread, harissa and paste. Season, blend until smooth, then slowly add the oil while motor is running. Place in bowl, stir in the vinegar and sugar, then season again to taste. Add some warm water if too thick.
- Serve in glasses, then add a dollop of yoghurt, paprika and coriander leaves.
A Tunisian chilli paste, from selected supermarkets and gourmet food shops.