cream of broccoli soup recipe
Recipe type: soups
cream of broccoli soup recipe – smooth, creamy and comforting soup made from broccoli
- 200 to 250 gms broccoli – 1 medium broccoli head
- 1 small onion, chopped – about ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ tsp dry oregano or any of your favorite herb or mixed dry herbs
- a pinch of nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg
- 1.5 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1.5 cups full fat whole milk
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and freshly crushed black pepper as required
- first break the broccoli into florets or you can chop them.
- heat enough water with ¼ tsp salt in a pot. let the water vigorously boil.
- switch off the flame and add the broccoli florets.
- wait for about 15-20 seconds and then drain the florets. reserve a few broccoli florets for garnish.
- the above blanching method is to get rid of the insects in the broccoli.
- heat butter in a sauce pan. add the onions and garlic and saute till they soften.
- add the flour. stir and saute for 2 minutes on a low flame.
- then add the drained broccoli. stir and then add water or vegetable stock.
- stir well and cover the pan with its lid.
- simmer till the broccoli is cooked well and tender… about 6 to 7 mins.
- do check in between.
- in the meantime heat milk on stove top or in the microwave.
- no need to boil, just heat the milk.
- when the soup mixture is still slightly hot or warm, using an immersion hand blender, blend the soup till smooth in the same sauce pan. you can also blend in a regular electric blender.
- add hot milk to the pureed soup and stir well.
- keep the soup pan on the stove top and begin to simmer on a low flame.
- season with oregano.
- just gently heat through the soup. no need to bring it to a boil. give occasional stirs.
- lastly season with salt, freshly crushed black pepper and nutmeg powder.
- pour soup into individual serving bowls and garnish with broccoli florets.
- you can also top the cream of broccoli soup with some grated cheddar or sliced cheese like parmesan. toasted bread croutons can also be used as a garnish.
- serve cream of broccoli soup hot, plain or with toasted buttered bread or baguette.