Greek lemon soup (Avgolemono)
Recipe type: soups
Take soups from starters to the main event with this top Greek recipe. It's hearty, tasty and budget-friendly, too.
- 2L (8 cups) chicken stock
- 50g (1/4 cup) long-grain white rice
- 2 eggs
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh continental parsley
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Combine stock and rice in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Whisk the eggs in a heatproof bowl. Gradually whisk in lemon juice. Gradually whisk in a ladleful (about 125ml/1/2 cup) of stock mixture. Gradually add another ladleful of stock mixture, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in half the remaining stock. Add the egg mixture to the remaining stock. Cook, stirring, over very low heat for 2-3 minutes or until soup thickens slightly (do not boil).
- Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup among bowls and sprinkle with mint and parsley. Serve with lemon wedges