Hot and Sour Soup
Recipe type: Appetiser
Hot and sour soup can refer to soups from several Asian culinary traditions. In all cases the soup contains ingredients to make it both spicy and sour
- 6 cups stock
- ¼ cup corn flour dissolved in ½ cup water or the stock
- 1.5 tsp soya sauce
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 2 tsp chilli sauce
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup tomato ketchup
- ½ tsp black pepper - mix together
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage
- Bring to stock to a boil and add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots and cabbage, bring to a boil and serve.
If you want Chicken Hot and Sour, use chicken stock and add cooked, cubed chicken when you add the carrots and cabbage.