Amiri Khaman ( Microwave Recipe)
Recipe type: Snacks
However many modern fast foods you might have, there are times when the taste buds and the heart yearn for a traditional snack like amiri khaman. Comprised of crumbled and garnished dhoklas, this delicious snack can be prepared in just five minutes in a microwave!
- 1 cup besan (bengal gram flour)
- 1½ tsp semolina (rava)
- ½ tsp citric acid (nimbu ka phool) crystals
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- salt to taste
- 1½ tsp fruit salt
- 1½ tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 4½ tbsp oil
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 2 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- For The Garnish
- 1 cup sev
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Combine the besan, semolina, citric acid crystals, sugar, ginger-green chilli paste, salt and 1 cup of water in a bowl, mix well to make a batter of pouring consistency.
- Just before serving, add the fruit salt and 2 tsp of water over it.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour half the batter into a greased 150 mm. (6”) diameter microwave-safe container and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Allow it to stand in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make one more batch of dhoklas. Keep aside to cool.
- Crumble the dhoklas lightly with your fingers to get khaman.
- Add the green chillies, 2½ tbsp of oil, lemon juice and sugar, mix well and keep aside.
- Put the remaining 2 tbsp of oil in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 40 seconds.
- Add the mustard seeds and asafoetida and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Pour the tempering on the khaman and mix well.
- Serve immediately garnished with sev, coconut and coriander.
Always use your hands while mixing the batter to break lumps of the besan, sugar and citric acid crystals.