Recipe type: Snacks
A popular Gujrati snack, with a cabbage filling.
- For the dough
- 250 gms whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp salt
- For the stuffing
- 3 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- 2 tsp raisins (kismis)
- 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- To be ground into a chilli-ginger paste
- 4 green chillies, chopped
- 12 mm. (1") piece ginger (adrak)
- Other ingredients
- oil for deep-frying
- For the dough:
- Mix the flour, ghee and salt. add enough water to make a semi-stiff dough and knead well.
- For the stuffing:
- Sprinkle salt on the grated cabbage and keep aside for 15 minutes. Then squeeze out the water by pressing with the hands.
- Add the coriander, raisins, coconut and chilli-ginger paste and mix well.
- Check the taste. Add the lemon juice, sugar and salt if required.
- How to proceed:
- Divide the dough into 25 balls and roll out into small rounds. Put the stuffing in the center of a round, gather the edges on the top and press well to close the round. Repeat with the remaining rounds.
- Deep fry in oil.
Serve hot with green chutney