Bean & Cheese Enchiladas – Mexican
Recipe type: Appetiser
Mexican cuisine is always a favorite for the Indian palate as it has so many similar flavors – cumin, coriander, garlic, chili, etc. Try this easy Bean and Cheese Enchiladas recipe made with corn tortillas and a homemade enchilada sauce. Combine the enchiladas with some guacamole, chips and salsa and Spanish rice and you have a complete meal.
- Flour – 1 Tbsp
- Oil – 1 Tbap
- Tomato Sauce – 8 oz can
- Broth/Stock – 14 oz can
- Water – ¼ cup
- Oregano – ¼ tsp
- Garlic Powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – ½ tsp or to taste
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- For the Enchiladas:
- Corn Tortillas
- Refried Beans (Click here for Refried Beans recipe)
- Shredded Cheese (Cheddar, Colby or Monterey Jack)
- Chopped Onions
- Sliced Olives
- Heat Oil in a pan.
- Add All-purpose Flour and whisk well.
- Once the flour turns light pink, add Broth, Tomato Sauce, and Water.
- Add Garlic Powder, Cumin Powder, Oregano, Salt, Sugar and Chili Powder. Mix well, cover and allow to come to a boil.
- Uncover and allow the sauce to thicken (stir frequently). Remove from heat when thickened.
- (Preheat Oven to 400F/204C)
- Spray an oven proof pan with Oil and spread a little sauce to coat the bottom.
- Wrap Corn Tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Spread each Tortilla with 1-2 tablespoons of Sauce.
- Place 2-3 Tbsp of Refried Beans along the center of the Tortilla.
- Sprinkle Cheese and Onions on top of the beans.
- Roll the Tortilla and place it seam side down in the pan.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Spread remaining Sauce over the rolled Enchiladas.
- Sprinkle Cheese, Onions and Black Olives over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes at 400F/204C in the oven.
- Serve immediately.