Broccoli Burger ( Burgers and Smoothies Recipe)
Recipe type: Snacks
A burger with an exotic feel, this one can be made without much thought as broccoli is easily available in markets these days. The real flavour of this burger lies in cooking the broccoli to perfection, as over- or under-cooking will ruin the aroma, appearance and true flavour of the vegetable. Parsley, olives and mustard paste lend a variety of intriguing flavours to the otherwise bland mayonnaise making the spread quite tantalising. Serve the brocolli burger with an interesting accompaniment such as dill potatoes and carrots, to make a perfect party treat.
- For The Cutlets
- 2 cups finely chopped broccoli
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 4 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
- 2½ tbsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1 cup boiled , peeled and mashed potatoes
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- salt to taste
- ½ cup plain flour (maida) dissolved in ¾ cup water
- bread crumbs for rolling
- oil for deep-frying
- To Be Mixed Into Parsley Mayonnaise Spread
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped green olives
- 1 tsp mustard (rai / sarson) paste
- Other Ingredients
- 4 burger buns
- 4 tsp melted butter
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 cheese slices
- 8 cucumber slices
- 4 tomatoes slices
- 4 sliced onions
- salt and freshly ground black pepper powder to taste
- dill potatoes and carrots
- For the cutlets
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions, garlic and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the broccoli and sauté on a medium flame for another 4 to 5 minutes or till the broccoli is almost cooked.
- Remove from the flame, add the potatoes, cornflour and salt and mix well.
- Divide it into 4 equal portions and shape each portion into a circle of 75 mm. (3") diameter and 1 cm thickness.
- Dip each cutlet in the plain flour mixture and roll it in the bread crumbs till it is evenly coated from all the sides.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry each cutlet till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- How to proceed:
- Cut each burger bun horizontally into two. Apply ½ tsp of butter on the insides of each half of the burger bun and toast them lightly on a tava (griddle). Keep aside.
- Apply 1 tbsp of the mayonnaise on the buttered side of all the bun halves.
- Place a lower half of the bun on a clean, dry surface with the buttered-mayonnaise side facing up.
- Place 1 lettuce leaf, a cutlet and 1 cheese slice over it.
- Apply 2 tbsp of the parsley mayonnaise spread and place 2 cucumber slices, 1 tomato slice and 1 onion slice over it.
- Finally sprinkle a little salt and pepper over it.
- Cover with an upper half of the bun with the buttered-mayonnaise side facing down and press it lightly.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more burgers.
- Serve immediately with dill potatoes and carrots.