Chana Dal Seekh Kebabs
Recipe type: Snacks
Vegetarians don't have to miss out on kebabs. These delicious and healthy chana dal seekh kebabs are as succulent as their non-vegetarian version!
- ½ cup chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 1½ cups boiled raw banana cubes
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1 tbsp finely chopped green chillies
- ½ cup finely chopped mint leaves (phudina) leaves
- ½ tsp dried ginger (adrak)
- salt to taste
- chaat masala
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp oil for greasing and cooking
- chaat masala for sprinkling
- For Serving
- green chutney
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the chana dal and sauté on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cool slightly and grind the chana dal to a powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of oil in the same pan, add the cabbage and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the bananas, green chillies and mint leaves, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Combine the chana dal powder, banana paste, salt, dry ginger powder, chaat masala and garam masala and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape each portion into 75 mm. (3") oval kebabs.
- Heat a greased non-stick tava (griddle) on a medium flame and cook the kebabs using a little oil till they are golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala on the kebabs and serve immediately with green chutney.
You could use greased unsharpened pencils instead of skewers and cook the kebabs on a tava (griddle) if you do not have a barbeque.