Recipe type: Appetiser
If you’re in the mood for Italian food but tired of pasta, try these delicious Eggplant Rolls. They are simple to make and filling enough to be the main course. It’s a perfect vegetarian dish!
- Eggplant – sliced lengthwise (approx ⅓ to ½ inch slices)
- Ricotta Cheese
- Italian Seasoning
- Garlic Powder or Garlic Salt
- Black Pepper
- Green Chilies – finely chopped
- Chopped Basil and Parsley
- Crushed Red Chili Flakes
- Pasta/Spaghetti Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Place Eggplant slices in a colander and generously salt them. Leave them to “sweat” for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- In a mixing bowl, combine Ricotta Cheese, Garlic Salt, Crushed Red Chili Flakes, Italian Seasoning, Black Pepper, Green Chilies and chopped Basil and Parsley. Mix well and keep aside. Tip – use one heaping dinner spoon of ricotta cheese per each slice of eggplant.
- Rinse off salt from Eggplant and gently squeeze out water or blot it with a paper towel.
- Heat a little Oil on a skillet and cook eggplant slices until lightly brown on both sides.
- Allow the eggplant to cool enough to be able to touch it.
- Place a heaping spoon of the Ricotta Cheese mixture on the wide end of the cooked eggplant and roll the eggplant all the way.
- Place the rolled eggplant in a lightly oiled baking dish and repeat until all eggplant slices are rolled.
- Spoon spaghetti sauce over the eggplant rolls to coat them.
- Bake uncovered in a 425 degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 – 25 minutes (until cheese is heated all the way through).
- Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce and Broil in the oven for few minutes until cheese is melted and lightly brown. Garnish with chopped Basil and Parsley.
- Server hot with bread and salad.