Recipe type: Snacks
Try this delicious recipe for Vegetable Lasagna made with spinach and mushrooms. It is packed with flavor and can be a great make ahead dish for parties or busy evenings.
- Lasagna Noodles – ½ of a 16oz package (9 strips)
- Salt – to taste
- Spaghetti Sauce – 26 oz
- Olive Oil – 4 tsp, divided
- Frozen (or fresh) Spinach – 16 oz, chopped
- Mushrooms – 8 oz, sliced thick
- Green Chili – to taste, finely chopped
- Garlic – 2 cloves, finely chopped
- Italian Seasoning
- Garlic Powder – to taste
- Crushed Red Chili Pepper – to taste
- Ricotta Cheese – 15 oz
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese – 2 cups
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese – 1½ cups
- Fresh Basil Leaves – handful, chopped
- Italian Parsley – 5 sprigs, chopped finely
- Egg – 1 (optional)
- Boil Lasagna noodles according to package directions (usually 10-11 minutes) – do not over cook!
- Remove from hot water and lay them out flat, side by side on a piece of foil.
- Heat 2 tsp of Olive Oil in a medium non-stick pan.
- Add 1 tsp of Italian Seasoning.
- Add Green Chilies, Spinach, Salt, Garlic Powder and mix well. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove spinach into a bowl and add 2 tsp Olive Oil in the same pan.
- Add chopped garlic to the oil before it heats up.
- Once Oil is hot, add Mushrooms and salt and stir fry them for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat to prevent further cooking.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add Ricotta Cheese, chopped Basil & Parsley, Garlic Powder, Italian Seasoning, Crushed Red Chili Flakes and Salt. Mix well and taste to adjust any spices or salt.
- Add Egg (optional) and mix well.
- Fold in 1 cup each of Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheeses.
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 9″ x 13″ baking pan with cooking oil.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with few spoons of Spaghetti Sauce – just enough to coat.
- Layer 3 noodles next to each other on top of the sauce.
- Lightly coat the top of noodles with a little more sauce.
- Spread ½ of Ricotta Cheese mixture on the noodles.
- Layer Spinach on top of cheese mixture.
- Place 2nd layer of noodles on top of the spinach (side by side).
- Lightly spread sauce on the noodles.
- Spread remaining cheese mixture on top of the sauce.
- Arrange Mushroom slices on top of the cheese mixture.
- Layer final 3 noodles over the mushrooms (side by side).
- Spread remaining sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheeses over the top. Optional – sliced black olives can be sprinkled on top of cheese.
- Cover and Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove cover and Broil on high for 5 – 10 minutes until cheese is golden brown. Keep a close eye on the broil process!
- Allow the Lasagna to rest for 15 minutes before cutting. Garnish with chopped parsley and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with garlic bread and salad for a complete meal.