Basic Thai red curry paste
Recipe type: Tips
Produce authentic tasting Thai food at home with this superb red curry paste.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp salt
- 10 (20g) large dried chillies, soaked in warm water for 25 minutes, then finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated galangal
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped
- Rind of ¼ kaffir lime, finely chopped
- 6 coriander roots, washed, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp shrimp paste
- 8 red birdseye chillies, seeded
- Place cumin, coriander and peppercorns in a small frying pan and dry roast over medium heat for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Using a pestle and mortar, grind roasted spices until a fine powder forms. Add remaining ingredients and pound until a very smooth paste forms. (It is important that the paste is smooth.) Alternatively, add ¼ cup water and, using a hand-held blender, blend until smooth. Paste will keep, covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or frozen for 1 month.