Vegetable Broth or Stock
Recipe type: Tips
Vegetable Stock is a very important ingredient when making soups or just making daals and pulaos more nutritious and flavorful. This vegetable stock recipe is very simple yet it’s packed with goodness and so much more flavorful that using water. Homemade broth or stock is not just cheaper but a lot healthier and tastier (and no preservatives or MSG). Give this vegetable broth recipe a shot and you’ll see that it does not get any easier than this! We have used it extensively in recipes on our website!
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Garlic Cloves – 8 large, roughly smashed
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Whole Peppercorn – ½ tsp or to taste (optional)
- Onions – 2 large, big chunks
- Carrots – 4 large, big pcs.
- Tomatoes – 2 large, big cubes
- Celery – 4 stalks, chopped
- Spring Onions – 4 stalks
- Leeks – 4 stalks (optional)
- Parsley – 10-12 sprigs, whole
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 1 gallon/16 cups
- Wash all the vegetables well.
- In a heavy bottom Stock pot/pan, add in the Oil.
- Add in the Garlic and then turn on the flame.
- Once the Oil is warm, add in the Bay Leaf and Whole Peppercorn.
- Add in all the Vegetables one after another.
- Add in Salt to taste and mix well.
- Allow the Vegetables to cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add in Water, increase the heat to a high and cover to allow it to come to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove cover, reduce heat to a low and allow the Vegetable to simmer for 45 min to an Hour.
- Allow the Stock to cool a little, drain the liquid and trash the vegetable.
- Once the Stock is room Temperature, store in the refrigerator for 5-7 days or freeze for later use.