Ash gourd thoran recipe
Recipe type: Curries
ash gourd thoran from kerala cuisine
- 200 gms of ash gourd – peeled and chopped
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 green chili chopped finely
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (optional)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- ¾ cup grated coconut
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- chop the ash gourd and keep them ready with the chopped onions and green chili.
- in a pan, heat the coconut oil. add the mustard seeds and when they pop add the cumin seeds. when the cumin seeds sizzle in the hot oil add the onions. fry the onions till transparent.
- add the curry leaves and green chili… fry for a minute.
- now add the ash gourd.
- add the turmeric powder and saute the veggie for a minute.
- cover the pan and let the ash gourd cook in its own steam… do not add water as ash gourd has enough water in it…cook for 7-8 minutes till the ash gourd is almost done…add the grated coconut.
- mix the coconut well with the veggie. add salt and cook covered for a couple of minutes.
- serve ash gourd thoran as a side dish or with dal and rice or sambar and rice. you can also have this dish with chapatis.