BHARLI VANGI STUFFED BABY EGGPLANTS
Recipe type: Curries
Traditional Maharashtrian curry popularly known as Bharli Vangi or "Stuffed Eggplant" is an exotic dish made with baby eggplants/ brinjals stuffed with spicy masala sweet and tangy gravy.
- Jaggery 1 Tablespoons
- Tamarind Pulp 1 Tablespoons
- Green Chillies, Chopped ½ Teaspoons
- Curry Leaves few Springs
- Hing (asafoetida) Pinch
- Ajwain Pinch
- Mustard Seeds 1 Teaspoons
- Cumin Seeds 1 Teaspoons
- Sesame Seeds, Roasted 1 Tablespoons
- Peanuts, Roasted 1 Tablespoons
- Fresh Grated Coconut 1 Teaspoons
- Coriander Powder 1 Tablespoons
- Goda Masala 2 Tablespoons
- Coriander Leaves, Chopped 1 Springs
- Eggplant/ Brinjals 12-14 Small
- Red Chilli Powder 2 Teaspoons
- Salt To Taste
- Turmeric Powder 1 Teaspoons
- Oil 2 Tablespoons
- Remove stems and give four vertical slits (not fully) to the brinjals from the top. If you want to keep the stems, give the slits from the bottom of the brinajls keeping the stem intact. Keep them in salt water for 10 minutes and rinse. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add chopped coriander, goda masala, coriander powder, grated coconut, roasted peanuts and till seeds powder, pinch of salt and mix all the ingredients well.
- Stuff all the brinjals with above masala.
- Take a kadai or a shallow non stick pan, and heat oil in it. Add mustard seeds. When you hear spluttering sound, add cumin seeds, pinch of ajwain, asafoetida, curry leaves, ½ tsp chopped green chillies, turmeric powder and chilli powder. Reduce the flame and sauté all the spices nicely.
- Add the stuffed brinjals and the leftover masala. Gently fry for some time. Add ½ cup water.
- Cover and cook over low-medium heat for about 15-20 min or until the brinjals turn soft and completely cooked.
- Remove the lid and stir to check if the brinjals are done. If not, cook further until well done (if required you can add little water). Add jaggery and gently mix. Add one tablespoon of tamarind paste/ pulp and cook for few mins.
- Switch off the flame, garnish with coriander leaves, cover and rest it for 10 mins and serve.