Cabbage with Fenugreek Leaves - Cabbage Menthikura
Recipe type: Curries
Fresh whole spices are added to hot oil to release their flavor. Cabbage is shredded and cooked in flavored oil along with fenugreek leaves and carrot. Serve cabbage with fenugreek leaves over plain steamed rice and dollop of ghee or with roti or chapati.
- Cabbage ½ of Small Head
- Fenugreek Leaves / Methi 2 Cups Packed
- Carrot 1 Small
- Green Chiles 2 – 3
- Curry Leaves 4
- Lemon Juice 1 Tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
- Remove outer leaves, wash and shred the cabbage.
- Discard the hard part in the middle of the cabbage while shredding.
- Peel, remove ends and thickly slice the carrot.
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chiles.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all other talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add fenugreek leaves and green chiles.
- Fry briefly, stir in shredded cabbage and sliced carrots.
- Fry for couple of minutes or medium high flame till cabbage softens are start to brown around the edges.
- Make sure to stir the cabbage continuously to avoid burning.
- When cabbage is soft while holding a very light crunch, remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon juice and serve cabbage with fenugreek leaves over plain steamed rice and dollop of ghee or with roti or chapati.
Make sure cabbage is cooked right. Suggestions: Adjust the fenugreek leaves according to taste. Variations: You can also add other vegetables like green peas, potato, fresh peas etc..