Channa Daal with Zucchini
Recipe type: Curries
Channa Daal with Zucchini is a great combination and a very simple dish. Channa Daal is a heavy daal and cooking it with zucchini makes it a lot lighter and easier on the stomach. Needless to say that it is also a very colorful daal, the green of the zucchini, the red of the tomatoes (that’s why we kept big pieces) andthe yellow of the daal…very appealing to the eye.
- Channa Daal – 1 cup
- Zucchini – 2 small (approx. ½ lb), cut
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Garlic – 2 cloves, finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 tsp, grated
- Green Chili – to taste
- Onion – ½ med, finely chopped
- Tomato – 1 med, chopped
- Cilantro – for garnish
- Wash and soak the Channa Daal for an hour.
- Drain out the water and put the Daal in a pressure cooker.
- Add in the Zucchini, Water, Salt and Turmeric Powder.
- Mix well, Close pressure cooker and give it 1 wistle and then allow the pressure to release by itself.
- For the seasoning, in a skillet, heat Oil on medium heat.
- Once the Oil is hot, add in Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
- Add in the Asafoetida and then the Onions.
- Cook for a minute and add in Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilies.
- Cook till the Onions turn translucent.
- Add in the Tomatoes. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker and check on the Daal.
- Turn on the stove and allow it to come to a boil.
- Add in the seasoning to te Daal.
- Allow it to boil for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with Cilantro and it’s ready to serve.