Chinese broccoli and mushroom stir-fry (vegetarian)
Recipe type: Curries
The secret to perfect stir-fries lies in remembering the wok cooks quickly at very high temperatures. All that's required is a quick sizzle, a little shake and a gentle stir for this aromatic vegetarian feast.
- 1 tbs peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 2 bunches Chinese broccoli (gai lan), ends trimmed, cut into 6cm lengths
- 150g oyster mushrooms, halved
- 200g fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup (60ml) vegetarian oyster sauce*
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tsp sambal oelek* (Indonesian chilli paste)
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the capsicum and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the Chinese broccoli and mushrooms and stir-fry for a further 3 minutes, until the broccoli is just wilted. Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce and sambal oelek to the wok, then toss to coat and warm through for about 1 minute. Serve over steamed rice.
Available from selected supermarkets and Asian food stores.