Recipe type: Pickles
Coconut Chutney is a perfect accompaniment with Dosas, Idlis or Vadas- your meal cannot be complete without it! Try it and see how flavorful this awesome chutney can be…
- Shredded Coconut – 3 cups
- Channa Daal – ½ cup
- Ginger – 2″ pc
- Green Chillies – to taste (slit)
- Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – small bunch
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Dry Red Cillies – 1-2
- Urad Daal – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Tamarind – to taste
- On medium heat, dry roast the Channa Daal till it changes color and gives out a wonderful aroma.
- Transfer the Daal into a bowl with a little water. Allow it to soak.
- Next dry roast the Coconut on medium heat, till it changes color and gives out a wonderful smell.
- Once done, transfer into a blender.
- Next to roast is the Ginger and the Green Chillies.
- Cook for a few minutes, till they start caramelize. transfer to the blender once done.
- After that, toss the Cilantro (leaves plus the stems) and it cook till they wilt.
- Transfer into the blender.
- Drain the Channa Daal and add into the blender.
- Add Salt and Tamarind to taste.
- Blend to desired consistency by adding Water.
- Pour into a serving bowl.
- In a small skillet, on medium heat, heat the Oil.
- Once hot, add in Mustard Seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add in Asafoetida and Dry Red Chillies. Cook for 10 seconds.
- Add in Urad Daal and cook till they change to a light golden color.
- After that add in Curry Leaves, mix and turn off the stove.
- Pour the seasoning over the chutney.
- Serve with Dosas, Idli or Vadas.