Dal with Spinach
Recipe type: Curries
Dal with Spinach, Dal Saag or Dal Palak – whatever you want to call it…now how do we get a healthier dish that this? Your Spinach (iron and fiber) and Dal (protein) all rolled into one! There are so many varieties of Daal and so many different ways to make them. Dal is a staple in most Indian households and pretty much had on a daily basis. Try this recipe for ”Dal with Spinach” with Chapatis, Parathas or Rice and you have a nutritionally complete meal. For a variation, switch the Toor Dal for Mung Dal or Channa Dal and you will be surprised how different and delicious they taste.
- Toor Dal (Dried Split Pigeon Peas) - ½ cup
- Spinach – ½ bunch, washed and chopped
- Onion – ¼ med, finely chopped
- Tomato – ½ med, 1″ cubes
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Water - 2 cups
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Curry Leaves – few leaves
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds - ½ tsp
- Asofoetida - pinch
- Dry Red Chili – 1, optional
- Garlic – 2, crushed
- Kasturi/Kasoori Methi – 1 tbsp, optional
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Tamarind Paste - ¼ tsp
- Wash and soak the Toor Dal for half hour.
- Drain the water from the Toor Daal and pressure-cook it with 2 cups fresh Water, Turmeric Powder and Tomatoes.
- Give it 2 whistles and take it off the flame.
- In a separate pan, heat Oil.
- Once Oil is hot, add the Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add Cumin Seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add the following in this order and keep mixing – Asofoetida, Dry Red Chili, Methi Leaves, Curry Leaves, Garlic and Onions.
- Mix well and cook till the Onions start to turn golden brown.
- Add in the Spinach and cook till it wilts.
- Add in the cooked Dal and mix well.
- Add Salt, Red Chili Powder and Tamarind Paste.
- Mix and allow it to boil for a few minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Serves 2