Flat Beans Potato Curry - Chikkudukaya Vepudu.
Recipe type: Curries
Potatoes and flat beans are chopped up and cooked in boiling water till just soft. Alternatively, you can steam them or pressure cook them. They are then cooked in tempered oil along with whole spices and other powdered spices. Serve flat beans potato curry over plain steamed rice and with dollop of ghee.
- Fresh Flat Beans 1½ Cups
- Potato 1
- Red Chile Powder ½ tsp or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Cloves 2
- Cinnamon 1 inch Stick
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Broken Dried Red Chiles 3 – 4
- Asafoetida a Big Pinch
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
- Cut the potato into halves.
- Wash thoroughly, snap both ends of the flat beans and chop beans into inch long pieces.
- Bring to boil few cups of water in a sauce pot, add potato halves and salt.
- Boil till potatoes are just cooked and strain them.
- Once potatoes are warm enough to handle, peel and chop them into small cubes.
- Bring to boil few cups of water in another sauce pot, add chopped flat beans and salt.
- Boil till flat beans are cooked well without becoming too soft or mushy.
- Strain the cooked flat beans and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When urad dal changes color, stir in potatoes.
- Fry for a minutes, stir in red chili powder and salt.
- Fry briefly and add cooked flat beans.
- Stir fry until flat beans start to brown around the edges.
- Season with red chilli powder and salt.
- Serve flat beans potato curry over plain steamed rice and with dollop of ghee.
Make sure flat beans and potatoes are cooked well. Suggestions: If beans or potatoes feels raw, sprinkle a tbsp or two of water and cook covered on low flame till done.