Fresh Mango Pickle
Recipe type: Pickles
When we talk about pickles, Fresh Mango Pickle is top on our list. Now we have not figured out if we eat pickle with food or food with pickle! What we love about this one is the crunch in the mango and it can go from the refrigerator to your plate to your stomach in less than an hour…how cool is that? This Fresh Mango Pickle is from South India and is called Maangaa Curry or Maangai Keeru In Tamil.
- Raw Green Mango – 1
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Sesame Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds - ¼ tsp (optional)
- Asofoetida – 2 pinches
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Wash and cut the mango into small pieces, with or without the peel, discarding the seed.
- Add Salt and Red Chili Powder to taste and mix well.
- In a small skillet on medium heat, warm the oil.
- Once hot, add in the Mustard Seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add in the Fenugreek Seeds and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the Asofoetida and Turmeric Powder.
- Stir and take it off the flame.
- Add the seasoning to the cut Mangoes and mix well again.
- Store in the refrigerator for a 4-7days.