Recipe type: Curries
Chole, a traditional Punjabi dish, is usually made using a lot of fat. But this easy to make recipe is lower in calories and is just as tasty. The oil does not contribute much flavour, it is the spices that create this dish. Instead of bhature (deep fried puris) serve it with Nutritious Garlic Naans, which are healthy, nourishing and just as tasty. It is important to soak the chick peas overnight to improve its digestibility and nutritive value by enhancing the protein, calcium and vitamin C levels.
- 1 cup kabuli chana (white chick peas), soaked overnight
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- 12 mm. (½") piece of ginger (adrak), grated
- 2 cloves of garlic (lehsun), grated
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp chole masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Pressure cook the Kabuli chana until they are soft and cooked. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and fry. When the seeds crackle, add the onion, ginger and garlic and sauté till the onion is golden brown. Add the tomatoes and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the chole masala, chilli powder, amchur, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin seed powder and salt and sauté for another minute.
- Add the Kabuli chana and ½ cup of water and mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Chole masala is a blend of spices, which is readily available at most grocery stores.