Recipe type: Curries
Malai Kofta is a well recognized Indian curry dish which is traditionally very rich. Try this recipe for a healthier version that you can enjoy at home without all the guilt. The koftas (dumplings) are baked, not fried. It is still very flavorful and very delicious!
- Potato – 1 large (boiled and peeled)
- Paneer – 8 oz
- Frozen Green Peas – ⅓ cup
- Carrot – 1 (shredded)
- Cilantro – 5 sprigs (finely chopped)
- Cashews/Golden Raisins – ¼ cup (roughly chopped)
- Cooking Spray
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Onions – 3 medium (food processed or chopped finely)
- Pureed Tomatoes – 2 cups
- Ginger/Garlic – 1 Tbsp (minced)
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – to taste
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsp (divided)
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp (divided)
- Chaat Masala – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Evaporated Milk – 5 oz can
- Milk – as needed
- For the Gravy:
- Heat Oil in a medium pan.
- Add Onions and salt — saute until moisture is evaporated.
- Add Ginger and Garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add Pureed Tomatoes and cook until Oil separates from the mixture.
- Add in Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Red Chili Powder and Garam Masala — mix well.
- Add Evaporated Milk and stir.
- Add Milk to make the gravy to desired consistency.
- Add sugar to taste and check salt.
- Bring Gravy to a boil and switch off the stove.
- Serves 6-8.
- For the Koftas:
- In a microwave safe bowl, cook Peas and Carrot with 2-3 tablespoons of water for 3-4 minutes.
- Squeeze out all excess water from the above mixture.
- In a food processor with a chopper blade, process paneer.
- Add Boiled Potato and again process until a dough is formed.
- Remove dough from food processor and place into a bowl.
- Add Peas & Carrots, Cilantro, Cashews/Golden Raisins (reserve a little for garnishing), Salt, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder and Chaat Masala — knead well.
- Line a baking tray with foil and spray with Cooking Oil.
- Roll Koftas into small Golf Ball size balls and place on baking tray.
- Lightly spray Cooking Oil on all of the koftas.
- Place tray in the oven and Broil on High until koftas turn a golden brown.
- Flip koftas to the other side and broil once again until golden brown.
- Remove koftas from oven and allow them to cool slightly.
- Arrange koftas in a casserole dish and cover them with the gravy.
- Garnish with remaining cashews and raisins.
- Cover the dish and bake in the oven at 350 degrees (F) for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with Naan or Rice.