Mung Daal with Asparagus Recipe
Recipe type: Curries
We are always looking for ways to present our staple daals in different ways to our family, friends and our taste-buds. Well, here is a great one that with tickle (almost) all your senses. The textures, the colors, the aroma and the flavors, just incredible! Mung Dal with Asparagus is bound to make you happy and happy is what we want to be.
- Mung Daal – 1 cup
- Asparagus – 1 lb, cut into 1 inch pieces (keep tips whole)
- Water – 3 cups
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds – approx 10
- Fennel Seeds (Saunf) – ¼ tsp, powdered
- Black Peppercorn – ¼ tsp, powdered
- Asofoetida – ⅛ tsp
- Ginger/Garlic/Green Chili paste – 2 Tbsp or to taste
- Diced Tomatoes – 14 oz can
- Salt – to taste
- Curry Powder – 2 tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder – to taste
- Wash Mung Daal well and drain. Wash and cut Asparagus to 1″ pieces.
- Pressure Mung Daal with Water, Salt and Turmeric.
- Cook for 1 whistle, turn off flame and remove pressure after 3-4 minutes under running water.
- Meanwhile, in a wok-style pan, work on the seasoning.
- Heat Oil and add in Mustard Seeds. Allow them to pop and splutter.
- Add in Cumin Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Powdered Fennel Seeds and Black Peppercorns, Asofoetida, Ginger, Garlic and Green Chillies in that order.
- Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add in diced Tomatoes, mix, cover.
- Cook until oil separates from the tomatoes. approx 10 min
- Add Curry Powder and Red Chili Powder to taste
- Add Asparagus, mix and cook for 5 minutes
- Add cooked Mung Daal, mix, cover and cook until everything is incorporated.
- Add Lemon juice optional for garnish. Serve hot.
1. Add additional water to make it more soup-y to have with rice.